14 April 2009

Thematic Significance of Your Story

Question:
..as I'm in this second rewrite deep...I'm losing track of my big idea--what's the biggest problem that I should keep in mind as I'm moving ahead? I think it's to get closer to the character, with every action meaning something, showing...the theme will arise out of all that as the plot is well defined at this point...right?


Answer:
Support surrounds you and your story always. What a leap of faith, of bravery... I'm so proud of you!!!

Q: what's the biggest problem that I should keep in mind as I'm moving ahead?
A: This is the $64 million dollar question, isn't it???

Q: I think it's to get closer to the character, with every action meaning something, showing...the theme will arise out of all that as the plot is well defined at this point...right?

A: Yes.
Constantly ask yourself: what am I trying to say?? What is my story trying to convey?? What do I want the reader left with at the end??

Keep writing down thematic ideas as they come to you. Which ones seem to consistently show up in one form or another in most scenes? What does that mean to you?? What beliefs do you carry about these ideas?? Are they consistent with what you're showing in your story??

Explore your own themes, beliefs; they usually show up in our writing.

The more honed in you are to the deeper meaning, the big problem that needs to be solved in your protagonist's life, the more focused the scenes start to become.

Don't stress about it -- trying too hard gets you all stiff and the muse has absolutely no way of breaking in.

Take lots of walks asking the question you asked me. Be sure to carry a little notebook and pencil in your pocket because answers will flow.

Ask yourself right before you drift off to sleep. Be sure to wake up and immediately write down what comes to you.

It's all there. I promise...

Great good luck!!